Definition of term:: Doublure

  • "A binder's term, meaning that the paste-down (or inside lining of the covers) is not of paper but of leather, usually decorated. Since doublures have always been much commoner in French bindings than in English, there is no English word for them." (John Carter)
Source: John Carter, ABC for Book Collectors. 7th edition. With Corrections, Additions and an Introduction by Nicolas Barker. Oak Knoll Press 1995