Definition of term:: Rubbing

  • Wear, often to the edges, caused to a book or dustjacket that is the result of friction, often from being removed and replaced upon a shelf with other books.
French: Frotté
German: Berieben
Source: What bookdealers really mean. A dictionary by Tom Congalton and Dan Gregory (Between the Covers), with additions from other sources