Definition of term:: Topedge and Top Edge Gilt

  • The flat surface that is created at the top of the textblock by the accumulated edges of the pages of a book. Sometimes called the "top edge," the space denoting a pause, during which the bookseller struggled for the term. If the binder has trimmed and gilded the top of the text block, this is refered to as "top edge gilt" or simply "t.e.g."
Source: What bookdealers really mean. A dictionary by Tom Congalton and Dan Gregory (Between the Covers), with additions from other sources