The Conservatory of the “Gesellschaft der Musikfreunde” was founded in Vienna in 1812. It was the biggest and most important conservatory of the Habsburg monarchy, and, together with the Paris conservatory, one the oldest and very few high-ranking institutions in Europe which received an international reputation from its beginnings. The pupils came from all continents, the teachers came from all over Europe. In 1817 Antonio Salieri began teaching in Vienna followed by well-known artists like Anton Bruckner, Elias Parish Alvars (harp), Eduard and Richard Lewy (horn) and Richard Baumgärtel (oboe). Among the pupils were Anton Bruckner, George Enescu, Fritz Kreisler, Leoš Janáček, Gustav Mahler, Hugo Wolf and Alexander Zemlinsky.
The exhibition gives an overview of the early history of music and music teaching in general, from the Middle Ages, Tinctoris (1474) and Boethius (1492) up to the 19th century. Besides, it presents the mission and the history both of the Conservatory and the “Gesellschaft der Musikfreunde”. On show are outstanding bibliophile treasures: autographs and manuscripts by Joseph Joachim, Anton Bruckner, Gustav Mahler, Hugo Wolf and other famous members of the Conservatory as well as historical documents, very rare early printed books from the history of music and, as one of many highlights, Guiseppe Verdi’s high praise of the Conservatory which he wrote down after his visit in Vienna.
An exhibition on the occasion of the 200th anniversary of the “Gesellschaft der Musikfreunde” in Vienna.